This somewhat delayed Gaslight News arrives in the nick of time to share with your visiting friends and family over the Holidays.
- Inside this GN, read Paul W. Schopp’s 3rd installment of his serial article, “Digging Up History in Riverton.”
- Get a review of our trip to Kenneth Frank’s Japanese beetle lecture at the Academy of Natural Science.
- Read the recap of Maggie Worsdale’s Nov. 17 performance as Martha Washington.
- Find the enclosed 2016 Membership and Annual Appeal Form
Click here to view issue #163_Gaslight_News Dec15
- Inside this issue read Paul W. Schopp’s 2nd installment of his serial article, “Digging Up History in Riverton.”
- Get a preview of Maggies Worsdale’s Nov. 17 performance as Martha Washington.
- See what’s been going on at rivertonhistory.com.
Click here to view issue #162_Gaslight_News Oct15
- In this two-page SUMMER EXTRA edition of the Gaslight News find the President’s Message, Events Calendar, and recap of the summer web postings on rivertonhistory.com
- Part 2 of Paul Schopp’s “Digging Up History” will be in the next issue in September
Click here to view issue #161_Gaslight_News Aug15
- Inside this issue read about the expanded Preservation Awards Night April 16 and the exciting potential of our new space in the Library.
- Learn of the 5th Grade Town Research Project
- Get a recap of the Antique $ Appraisal Event
- Review 150 years of Riverton School history
- Part 2 of Paul Schopp’s “Digging Up History” will be in the next issue.
Click here to view issue #160_Gaslight_News Apr15
- Town Historian Paul W. Schopp delves into the recent discovery of skeletal remains in Riverton and finds history repeating itself in Part One 0f a two-part article, Digging Up History in Riverton.
- HSR Combined Board/General Meeting at Riverton School, Thursday, Feb. 12, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
- Antique & Collectible Fair, March 28
- Proposed changes to HSR Constitution and Bylaws
- Catch up on old news and coming attractions in Various and Sundry Items
Click here to view issue #159_Gaslight_News Jan15
- Inside this issue read “Summering in Riverton,” the feature story that tells about the Lawn House and other boarding houses of the late 1800s-early1900s.
- Paul Daly retires after serving 28 years as HSR treasurer
- Mayor Brown carves a new staff for July 4th
- We recap Bob Gleason’s October Poe presentation
- A form for paying membership dues is included in the envelope
Click here to view issue #158_Gaslight_News_Nov14
- Inside this issue read President Phyllis Rodgers’ recap of past accomplishments as she sets our sights on goals for 2014-2015. It’s a big to-do list.
- Also, we acknowledge two major donor gifts of ephemera – that’s basically old paper, but it is what on it that is irreplaceable.
Click here to view issue #157_Gaslight_News_Sep14
- Inside this issue read about a special Historical Society of Riverton Preservation Award Night coming on April 10, 2014, at The Porch Club.
- Actor/historian Bob Gleason’s performance as Abraham Lincoln helped the Society celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday at a special Feb. 12 meeting at The Bank on Main.
- An March 2 Downton Abbey Inspired Tea with Alisa DuPuy at the New Leaf Tea Room benefited the HSR and chased away members’ winter blahs.
- Rob Gusky’s study of Riverton’s cycling legacy prompts him to organize The Historic Riverton Century ride from NYC to Riverton this June.
- We hope a review of some recent website posts encourages some members receiving the print edition of the newsletter to look us up on the Internet.
- The editor confesses to missing dozens of website feedbacks from readers over the past year.
Click here to view issue #156 Gaslight_News_Mar14
- Inside this issue read about a special general meeting Feb. 12, 2014, at The Bank on Main celebrating President Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday with actor/historian Bob Gleason.
- See what you missed at the Dec. 7 Museum for a Day at the New Leaf. Riverton School Third Graders enjoyed a visit, too.
- Alisa DuPuy channels Lady Violet at a Downton Abbey Inspired Tea benefiting the HSR March 2 at the New Leaf Tea Room.
- We acknowledge the many ways in which members support the Society.
- Have You Seen This? – a website recap.
- Who’s that sailor on the last page? His photo joins others in our Riverton Veterans’ Album.
- Enclosed 31 dues reminders with this newsletter. For our small membership, that’s about 20% of the group. Support from members like you determines the kind of Society we are to be.
Click here to view issue #155_Gaslight_News_Jan14
- Inside this issue read about Nov. 21, 2013 special event, A Dickens Tea at The New Leaf.
- Carl McDermott writes about his reaction to a hundred year-old news clip describing the holdup in Riverton of his grandfather.
- Patricia Smith Solin gives us a well-timed short history of the Candlelight House Tour with an invitation to readers to help fill in some blanks.
- We acknowledge the generous donations of several members and advise members of some other developments regarding historical house plaques, the HSR’s Museum for a Day in December, the addition of names to the Memorial at the upcoming Veterans Day ceremony, and… oh, yes, kindly pay your 2014 dues at your earliest convenience.
Click here to view issue #154_Gaslight_News_Nov13