- Inside this issue read “Summering in Riverton,” the feature story that tells about the Lawn House and other boarding houses of the late 1800s-early1900s.
- Paul Daly retires after serving 28 years as HSR treasurer
- Mayor Brown carves a new staff for July 4th
- We recap Bob Gleason’s October Poe presentation
- A form for paying membership dues is included in the envelope
Click here to view issue #158_Gaslight_News_Nov14
- Inside this issue read President Phyllis Rodgers’ recap of past accomplishments as she sets our sights on goals for 2014-2015. It’s a big to-do list.
- Also, we acknowledge two major donor gifts of ephemera – that’s basically old paper, but it is what on it that is irreplaceable.
Click here to view issue #157_Gaslight_News_Sep14
- Inside this issue read about a special Historical Society of Riverton Preservation Award Night coming on April 10, 2014, at The Porch Club.
- Actor/historian Bob Gleason’s performance as Abraham Lincoln helped the Society celebrate Lincoln’s Birthday at a special Feb. 12 meeting at The Bank on Main.
- An March 2 Downton Abbey Inspired Tea with Alisa DuPuy at the New Leaf Tea Room benefited the HSR and chased away members’ winter blahs.
- Rob Gusky’s study of Riverton’s cycling legacy prompts him to organize The Historic Riverton Century ride from NYC to Riverton this June.
- We hope a review of some recent website posts encourages some members receiving the print edition of the newsletter to look us up on the Internet.
- The editor confesses to missing dozens of website feedbacks from readers over the past year.
Click here to view issue #156 Gaslight_News_Mar14
- Inside this issue read about a special general meeting Feb. 12, 2014, at The Bank on Main celebrating President Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday with actor/historian Bob Gleason.
- See what you missed at the Dec. 7 Museum for a Day at the New Leaf. Riverton School Third Graders enjoyed a visit, too.
- Alisa DuPuy channels Lady Violet at a Downton Abbey Inspired Tea benefiting the HSR March 2 at the New Leaf Tea Room.
- We acknowledge the many ways in which members support the Society.
- Have You Seen This? – a website recap.
- Who’s that sailor on the last page? His photo joins others in our Riverton Veterans’ Album.
- Enclosed 31 dues reminders with this newsletter. For our small membership, that’s about 20% of the group. Support from members like you determines the kind of Society we are to be.
Click here to view issue #155_Gaslight_News_Jan14
- Inside this issue read about Nov. 21, 2013 special event, A Dickens Tea at The New Leaf.
- Carl McDermott writes about his reaction to a hundred year-old news clip describing the holdup in Riverton of his grandfather.
- Patricia Smith Solin gives us a well-timed short history of the Candlelight House Tour with an invitation to readers to help fill in some blanks.
- We acknowledge the generous donations of several members and advise members of some other developments regarding historical house plaques, the HSR’s Museum for a Day in December, the addition of names to the Memorial at the upcoming Veterans Day ceremony, and… oh, yes, kindly pay your 2014 dues at your earliest convenience.
Click here to view issue #154_Gaslight_News_Nov13
- Our first newsletter published after the summer hiatus features an article about George D. Steedle and the two companies he founded that have quite literally moved millions across the region and across the Delaware River.
- Learn also about the first general meeting of the season planned for October 10, 2013. Dorothy Stanaitis will present Scandals, Rumors, and Dirty Rotten Lies, an entertaining examination of what topics were grist for the gossip mills of Colonial Philadelphia.
Click here to view issue #153_Gaslight_News_Sep13
- Riverton Free Library Director Michael Robinson’s recent eBay purchase of a infant’s portrait prompted him to delve more deeply into a topic first mentioned in a column authored in this publication by Town Historian Betty B. Hahle in 1984. Quite possibly some family albums today hold more photographs bearing the Lothrop Photography logo.
- The distinguished Honor Roll of Riverton Military Veterans grew by ten names this past Memorial Day. Please help us secure more service photos of veterans for the Riverton Veterans Album PDF.
Click here to view the PDF file for issue #152_Gaslight_News_Jun13
- Inside read about the upcoming 2013 Annual HSR Meeting on May 16, during which we choose Board members for the next 3-year term, learn of a new aim to recognize Riverton Preservation, and enjoy the four-part harmonies of The Pine Barons.
Click here to view the PDF file for issue 151_Gaslight_News_Apr13