Riverton History, DVD
The Romance of Riverton was a silent film made in 1926 and shown for many years at the Broadway Theater at Broad & Leconey Streets in Palmyra. The theater closed in 1967 and the film was given to the HSR in 1978. Through the efforts of the HSR, the Porch Club, Palmyra-Riverton Rotary Club, and concerned individuals, the silent film was transferred to safety film in 1980 and to videotape in 1989. This latest DVD version adds chapters and titles for faster searching. Various public domain music accompaniments have been added as well. A 16-page booklet explains the story line and gives historical context to the film, and is included inside the illustrated DVD case. It is a remarkable 43 minute trip back to old Riverton with trolley cars and steam engines, fire equipment, locations and businesses that have changed, a much downsized Riverton School and much more.
Copies of The Romance of Riverton are available for $20 at the New Leaf Tea Room and Gift Shoppe in Riverton.