- This first issue of the fall season after our summer hiatus is soooo packed. Our Board has been busy working on projects and planning. This issue tells a bit about what’s in store for 2019-2020.
- Board member Roger Prichard tells about his latest project in, “Two new markers grace Bank Avenue homes.”
- The year 2020 will mark the 100th anniversary of women gaining the right to vote. Alisa Dupuy will portray Alice Paul, one of the main architects of the women’s suffrage movement, at the Porch Club.
- Read a recap of May’s Recognition Awards Night
- We thank Carlos Rogers for his gift of $5,500, part of the proceeds from June’s Historic Riverton Criterium. It will make possible a project to preserve our archives.
- Just so you know that we have been busy all summer, “In case you missed it,” is a list of blog posts selected from over twenty made since last April.
- Keith Betten, Archives Preservation Committee Co-Chair, reports on the huge impact that Carlos Rogers’ extraordinary gift will have on the Society’s efforts to preserve the extensive collection that chronicles Riverton history.
- A dollhouse finds a new home at Nellie Bly’s Olde Tyme Ice Cream Parlour.
- Save the Date – Saturday, November 23. Board member Heather Huffnagle will host a House Party with the goal of raising funds for youth programs.
- Mt. Laurel’s Alice Paul Institute desires to create a traveling exhibit about the suffrage movement and needs memorabilia from that era.
- We welcome two new members and acknowledge donations
- Culminating a longtime effort, there is now a nearly complete run of Gaslight News issues online. There’s a lot of history packed into almost 180 issues of our newsletter published over the last 40+ years.
Note: The mailed copies had an error on the date for the Sociable at Coales’ photo on page 3. The correct date is May 4, 1889. Also, on page 1, first column, lower left, “…the home of two illustrious abolitionists at 106 Penn Street” was an error. The correct address is 102 Penn Street. The newsletter posted here is now correct.
Open the PDF, pause your mouse over blue highlighted underlined text, and click on the links to reveal extra content.
Click here to view issue #181 Gaslight News October 2019 rev.