The plaque reads:
RIVERTON MEMORIAL PARK
Purchased May 10, 1923, for the use of the citizens of Riverton.
Dedicated July 4, 1931, to the soldiers and sailors of this borough who served their country in the World War.
When the idea to establish a fitting memorial to those who served gained favor, The New Era threw the discussion open to its readers and a debate ensued.
Among the suggestions for a memorial were a public fountain, a hospital, a community house, a permanent home and office for the Red Cross visiting nurse, a town clock, and even a sewer plant.
The July 9, 1931 issue of The New Era reported that the dedication ceremony drew thousands from the area.
History tells us many ways things could have turned out differently were it not for the service of our men and women in our armed forces. Consider today and every day that the freedom and way of life that we enjoy was quite literally secured by the sacrifice of veterans.
The establishment of the Riverton War Memorial and Honor Roll listing names of veterans followed World War II.
This 2013 post describes how a simple change to the eligibility requirement resulted in adding dozens of veterans’ names from post-WWII conflicts being added to the Honor Roll. Also, find there Betty Hahle’s “History of Our War Memorial” as published in the 2004 July Fourth Program booklet. -JMc